How to make Silvanas

Hello Lovely and beautiful readers!

I know a lot of people from Visayas area (Philippines) love and crave for Silvanas. The first time I tried this dessert it was like the moment suddenly froze and it was just so heavenly. Since then it became an all time favorite. It is a food for the Gods as I can describe it. Anyway, I am going to share with you my own recipe inspired by Bonjoon’s recipe. I tweaked it a little so am I eligible to call this my own recipe? hehe

Silvanas is a Cashew Meringue Buttercream cookies.

I have to thank Bonjoon for this. To return the favor, I am sharing it to you as well. I wish you all good luck and all the best in your baking journey.

Birthday Desserts Silvanas, Chocolate Krinkles and Banana Cupcake
My 2″x2″ Silvanas. Joint birthday celebration of my daughter.

Silvanas, how to make silvanas, sylvannas, sylvanas, filipino dessert

Ingredients:

Meringue
6 egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup ground roasted cashew nuts

Butter cream
1 cup (2 sticks) salted or unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar (sifted)
1/2 cup milk

Coating
Ground Marie Biscuits. Other sub: lengua de gato, cake crumbs, graham {taste will be different but still taste good}, tostado, or anything that has a bland taste. Make sure to grind them.

Things to do before baking
*Ground the Cashew nuts and Marie biscuits using a grinder or food processor. Grind separately.
*sift the confectioner’s sugar
*prepare all things you need

Instructions:

Meringue
Using an electric mixer beat 6 egg whites, once its bubbly add 1 tsp.cream of tartar. Gradually add 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and beat until *stiff peaks form. Add the 3/4 cup ground cashew nuts then fold.

Tips:
*Stiff peaks means the mixture won’t drop off from the mixer when you raise it.
* Be careful in folding the cashew nuts. Fold it gently and do not stir. I suggest add the cashew nuts by spreading it unto the egg mixture then fold. Do it layer by layer.

Divide the meringue mixture into half and pour half into a sheet (baking pan) with parchment or wax paper. Level it using a spatula.

Bake at 300F or 150C for 30 mins in middle level then transfer it to highest level. Continue baking for another 20mins or until golden brown. Let completely cool and put it inside the refrigerator while waiting for the other half to baked.

Prepare the Buttercream.

Beat 1cup softened butter until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup confectioner’s sugar. Then gradually add 1/2 cup milk.

Buttercream Meringue Sandwich
I used round cookie cutter on these yummy goodness Silvanas.

I tried making the perfect circle but I always fail. I also thought why make it circle when you can make it a square that way, I won’t waste anything.

Assembly:
Spread buttercream generously on one meringue sheet.

Put the other meringue sheet on top.

Peel the wax paper of the top meringue sheet.

Cover the top and sides with buttercream.

Sprinkle ground marie biscuit on top and sides.

Use a spatula to level the ground marie biscuits and to take out the excess.

We are going to flip over the Silvanas to finish the other side.

To do this cover the top with wax paper then put a flat tray or chopping board on top and under then flip it fast.

Repeat the steps.

After covering the whole silvanas with ground marie biscuits place it back inside the refrigerator to make it hard for the cutting.

After 30 mins, you may start the cutting.

I usually use a ruler and measure 2″x2″. So, from the whole Silvanas I get 20 2″x2″ bite size. This depends on how big your sheet (baking pan) is. After cutting it to your desired size, you may or may not cover the sides with buttercream and ground marie biscuit.

Tips:
*To make sure the ground marie biscuit stick to the butter and make it look smooth, put a wax paper on top and glide a flat laddle or soft tissue on the wax paper.
* If its hard to peel the wax paper from the meringue, try putting it back in the refrigerator/freezer
*Do not forget to wash the ruler before using it.

Silvanas Birthday Cake
Our  Silvanas birthday cake
My Little Girl Blowing the Candles
She cannot wait to blow the candles. I kept on telling her to wait. lol

I consider this as easy to bake though it is tedious to do. But its all worth it. If you tried my recipe, please share it here. I would love to see them and show it to others for inspiration.

Be inspired, be motivated. Thank you everyone and See you next time.

partying here:)

• Kelly Blackwell February 7, 2013, 11:41 pm

At first I wasn’t sure until I saw the final pics. That looks incredible. My friend Kim is from the Philippines and is back there now. I’m going to have to ask her about these! I am dropping by from the Dysfunction Junction’s Thursday hop. I hope you can drop by too. I am also following via G+.

• Judy diyAddict February 8, 2013, 2:08 am

Thank you Kelly! Sure, I would be glad to meet Kim here too :D

• Navin Menon February 8, 2013, 3:24 pm

Stopping by from the Blog Hop, I’m your newest follower looking forward t reading some of your Posts, check my blog out when you have a chance

Navin

• sugarplums andlollipops February 9, 2013, 9:07 pm

Hi there! I’m a new follower from the blog hop and would love a follow back at sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com and on Pinterest! I follow back all of my Pinterest followers :)

• RACHEL TaoOfPoop March 17, 2013, 7:04 pm

Those look so good! What a lovely birthday picture! Following back!

• nickz August 20, 2013, 10:20 pm

thank you for sharing your recipe, glad i bumped into your blog :). I was craving for silvanas for sometime, the bakeshop were i used to buy silvanas no longer sell this :(. I dont know why, but just seeing the ingredients and the procedure makes me hopeful and i think its just easy and i can make my own. Thank you :)

• Judy August 20, 2013, 10:40 pm

Hi Nickz,

There was one store here in SG who also sells silvanas but later they stop selling it too. According to them the management told them that they are not allowed to sell any dessert to protect the existing store who is solely selling dessert. This lead me to create my own Silvanas. :) Try it and please let me know the result :)

• Aileen October 5, 2013, 10:46 am

I wonder what kind of milk did u used?? Evap or fresh milk??

• Judy October 14, 2013, 5:04 pm

Hi Aileen,

Any milk will do. I used evap milk. You can also use fresh milk.

• Sofia November 5, 2013, 1:01 am

Hi Judy! Is confectioner’s sugar and icing sugar are just the same? Thanks! :)

• Judy November 5, 2013, 2:39 am

Hi Sofia,

Yes, they are the same.

• melis November 25, 2013, 3:51 am

Ive seen another recipe, all the same ingredients EXCEPT cream of tar tar… what difference would it make if I left that ingredient out?

• Judy February 5, 2014, 4:43 pm

Oh my, I apologize for this very late response to you Melis. I overlook your comment. I haven’t tried making it without cream of tartar. Most of the meringue recipe has it. You can buy cream of tar tar at any big grocery store like SM, Rustan’s or Gaisano Metro.

Thank you for your comment and for checking this out. Have a nice day :)

• Kim January 14, 2014, 8:19 pm

Thank you so much for writing about this! I absolutely love silvanas . One question I have, regarding the biscuits. I am from Vancouver and I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen Ground Marie Biscuits. Are there any other biscuits that it can use?

• Judy January 15, 2014, 8:09 am

Hi Kim,

You are welcome and thank you for the visit. You can use graham crackers, cake crumbs, legua de gato or something near taste to these kind of biscuits. I have tried Graham crackers, there was a slight taste difference but it was still yummy so I stick with marie biscuits.

• rox August 22, 2015, 12:31 am

hi. what size of pan you used?

• Judy September 4, 2015, 3:00 pm

Hi Rox,
      I think I had 10×16″ pan.

• Precious diane August 26, 2015, 8:53 pm

Hi miss Judy I’ve watch you video po. I’m just curious if you baked the sylvanas. I’m curious I don’t have oven.hahahaha I want to make sylvanas badly.

• Judy September 4, 2015, 3:02 pm

Hi Diane,

Yes, I baked it in a convection oven at 150C for 1 hour per sheet.

• Johann September 4, 2015, 11:57 pm

Hi, I’m wondering about the texture of the meringue after baking it. Is it hard or chewy?

• Judy September 7, 2015, 5:46 pm

Hi Johann,

The texture immediately after baking is chewy then once it cooled down it will harden just a bit. If you really want it hard (crunchy) make sure to bake it until golden brown top and bottom.

• Johann September 10, 2015, 11:00 am

Hi Judy, thank you for your reply I’ve made the meringue. :) But how do you cut it in 2×2? I cracked everything! lol!

• Judy September 11, 2015, 6:33 am

Hi Johann,

Lol! Oh my! I know the feeling. I’ve done it several times too. I just used kitchen knife and ruler. Cut the meringue once you already sandwich with buttercream. Put it in the freezer before cutting the whole sheet. This will make it easier to cut.

• Johann January 19, 2016, 10:24 pm

Hi Judy,

I would like to ask if u tried other flavors of silvanas? I like to learn new flavors of it. :D

• Judy January 25, 2016, 7:29 pm

Hi Johann,

I haven’t tried making another flavor like the choco silvanas and ube silvanas. But actually once you know the basic you can play with any flavors that are available out there.

• Mercy November 20, 2015, 2:45 pm

Hi….the ground cashew, is it 3/4 cup or 1 3/4 cup? Coz @ Bonjoon’s it’s 1 3/4 c

• Judy November 22, 2015, 1:45 pm

Hi Mercy,

I cut back on the cashew nuts. By putting 1 3/4 cups of cashew nuts, the more you can taste it in the meringue. It really depends on your preference. You can try both recipes and decide which one you like most. Thanks for the visit :)

• Luis January 1, 2016, 10:06 pm

I followed every step in baking the meringue and used 300 F heat. I even have a thermometer inside the oven to maintain the heat. I placed the pan in the middle of the oven but after 10 minutes of baking, my meringue got burned. Did I do anything wrong?

• Judy January 25, 2016, 7:37 pm

Hi Luis,

Sorry to hear what happened to your meringue. That’s frustrating. Not all oven are the same, some temp adjustment must be done. I am using the table top convection oven. I wonder where you put your pan, I normally put it in the middle rack then if I wanted to make the bottom of the meringue to brown I place it in the lowest rack.