I love that this is baked. Makes me think that it’s a little healthier than the fried one This is a recipe adapted from panlasangpinoy.com which I tweaked a little to suit our taste. It is not oily and tastes good. You can make a whole bunch then put in the freezer for later. Great for unexpected guests coming over to your house.
photo courtesy of Pyxie
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tbsp sugar. I normally put extra. We want it a little sweet. I normally add 3 more tbsp.
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1 cup cold butter. I put them in the freezer after slicing them into thin pieces.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- cheddar cheese. You can put as much as you want.
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 cup potato, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup green peas
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sugar. I also added more sugar until I reach my desi
1/2 piece chicken cube
2 tbsp cooking oil
Cook the filling
1. Saute garlic and onions in a heated pan with oil
2. Add chicken breast then cook until color turns light brown.
3. Add water then simmer for 10 mins
4. Add-in carrots and potatoes and simmer for 5 mins.
5. Add-in green peas, raisins and sugar.
6.Simmer for another 5mins.
7. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and drain excess liquid and set aside.
Making the dough
1. Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt). Mix them well.
I use pastry/dough blender to make this process easy and fast. You can get one at my amazon store. Here is my recommendation. I will get a small amount of commission for every sold item that will help me run my blog.
More Essential Baking tools can be found at My Amazon Store.
4. Divide the dough into individual pieces. No specific size. Refrigerate for 20mins
5. Flatten dough using a rolling pin creating a round shape.
6. Place filling in the middle. Fold so opposite ends meet.
7. Press the edges and seal using fork or use a puff molder.
8. Put Empanadas on wax paper on top of baking tray or grease the tray with oil.
9. Glaze the top Empanadas with egg white and water mixture. Beat egg white lightly and mix a little water about 2 tbsp.
10. Preheat Oven at 400 deg. F. for 10 mins. Bake the Empanadas for 25 mins.